Thursday 3 September 2015

Glue in my Beard

There is glue in my beard.

There is glue in my beard, in my hair and over the front of my shirt. Working on boats can be hazardous. The inside of ‘Trivial Pursuit’ is neat and clean, lined on the sides and the roof with an insulating material. Fixing a drooping area of the foam-backed lining, on the underside of the main hatch, was going to be a straight forward ’no problem’ job. Obviously I needed an impact adhesive, something I have used for 50 years. So I went to a local Aladdin’s cave of a place where one can get absolutely everything and got some. There is a scene in the Sci-Fi film Alien where the acid drool eats its way through the deck. Well  it was almost as scary as that! As long as I can remember impact adhesive has been thick and inclined to sit looking at you, challenging you to spread it. Not this lot. I reached up, pulled down the offending droopy bit from above my head and applied a generous amount of adhesive. It did not sit, it ran like monster drool, the long threads marching inexorably toward me. I could not retreat, jammed against a bulkhead with four foot of sitting headroom, I was helpless. Three days later I’m still finding glue on bits of me, but never mind, she sails like a dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment