Wednesday 16 September 2015

Going to Windward

Windward dreams

Today I determined to find out how well my Corribee ‘Trivial Pursuit’ sails to windward. It is the conventional wisdom that “Junks cannot sail to windward”  I have done a lot of sea miles since 1973, both coastal and offshore, using the ubiquitous white triangular sails that these days are regarded as normal. My three Trimarans tacked in 90 degrees (ok one of them was nearer 100?) but that never stopped  me getting to exotic destinations! My monohulls were a lot better, (well not the Gaff Cutter)  but unfortunately I never made a careful note of exactly how much better. So today we did take notes. It was a fine bright day with blue sky and cumulous clouds and the waters of the Holy Loch were stippled with a F2 fading at times to a F1. I wrote down the compass heading as soon as the boat had settled down on each new tack.
Here are the results.
70 then 150 degrees 90 then 160 degrees 80 then 170 degrees 75 then 145 degrees 70 then 150 degrees. Wow! I’m itching to try in stronger winds as I think she will not be as close winded, though I have sailed in a F3 with about the same results. (didn’t write them down, Drat!)
Well that proves it, Junks are such rubbish to windward!


No comments:

Post a Comment