Thursday 22 June 2017

Everything in it's place

Everything in it's place?

On a small boat, like my 21 foot Coromandel ‘Butterfly‘ everything from sleeping bags to screwdrivers and even chocolate biscuits, must have their own special place otherwise all is chaos!
I cannot stand up inside my boat. I am 6 feet tall and the headroom inside is 4 feet 6inches. So, I’m either sitting or lying down when below decks.
This is fine so long as things are put back in order. (and I remember where that is?)
Now, after several months of sailing and organising, things are mostly sorted.
Except for where to store me at night?
The quarter berth is 7 feet long and wide enough for sleep, but so useful to temporarily stow spare jackets, a boat hook, the seldom used solar panel, cushions, sleeping bag, rope and other not-in-their-place-yet items.
The double berth up foreword, bisected by the mast, must be too difficult to wriggle into I had thought.
Today, after three months prevarication, I made the attempt.
Now the combination of stiff knees and middle age spread (ok old age indulgence!) was not in my favour, but with a few grunts and the odd expletive I was in.
Such luxury!
The mast became a friendly thing to cuddle (insulated so not cold) which stopped me falling out. There was ample space for legs (not more than two) and I could turn in both directions and still have room to breath. After a few minuets contemplation of this treasure I had a little snooze.
Everything in it’s place.

No comments:

Post a Comment